Renewing wedding vows has become popular in recent years. If approached with care and thoughtfulness, a renewal of vows or celebration of your relationship ceremony can help to cement the bond of love which already exists between you.
You may choose to renew your vows for a number of reasons:
- You were married in a different country and now wish to celebrate with family and friends who were not able to attend the first time around
- You want to celebrate a special anniversary by re-affirming your love for one another
- You have been through some difficulties together and want to declare your continued commitment to each other
- Your wedding was not how you wanted it to be and you want to do it right this time
- You just want to tell the world how much you love each other!
Perhaps you are not married and don’t want to be wed, but you do want to celebrate your relationship and mark it in a significant way.
Whatever the reason, renewing of wedding vows or celebration of a relationship can be deeply meaningful and personal, and doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg.
Because there is no legal status to such an event, pretty much anything is possible.
You may choose to invite your friends and family to a grand and formal event. Or you may prefer to find a quiet location, by yourselves or with a few chosen people, and make your commitment or re-commitment to one another using words and symbols that are meaningful to you.
When planning your event, I would encourage you to consider the following:
- Why are we doing this at this time in our relationship?
- What message do we want to give to one another?
- What message do we want to give to our family and friends?
- Do we want to use our original vows or are a different set of words more appropriate now?
- Are we going to exchange new rings or have our original rings blessed?
- What type of music, language, symbolism etc do we want to draw on?
- Was there anything missing from the wedding that we want to include this time around?
- Where and when do we want to do this ceremony?
- Who do we want to celebrate with us?
When I am conducting a ceremony, whatever the occasion, my aim is to make it as personal and special as possible.
As an Independent Celebrant I am not restricted to any particular actions or set of words and can include music, poetry, symbolism and liturgy from anywhere of your choosing. It can be religious, spiritual or non-religious. We can draw on your culture, background and heritage, we can include aspects of your original wedding or do something totally “off the wall.” The choices are endless.
The important thing is to create a ceremony that enables you to mark your special event in the way that is most appropriate to you.
One final point, why not treat yourselves to some relationship coaching prior to your special event. Whether you are doing this following difficulties in your relationship or not, working through some of the more sticky and challenging issues between you will help to ensure that this event is not just a show of words, but the start of something so much better and more beautiful than you could have imagined.
To discuss how I can help you to renew your vows or celebrate your relationship in a way that is just perfect for you, or to arrange some relationship coaching, please get in touch.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Contact me at:
Tel: (00357) 9907 8545